Dragaera

What was Loraan trying? ( In Taltos) Spoiler for Issola-Ignorants

Tue Nov 23 08:57:48 PST 2004

Philip Hart wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, James Griffin wrote:
>

>>Just in case-

>>While trying to sleep, (with a recent re-reading of Issola in mind), the
>>connection popped into my mind-  When Vlad "remakes" Godslayer, he uses a
>>dead but "preserved" soul, a Morganti weapon (That may or may not have been
>>the "original sword/dagger"), and the chain Vlad named Spellbreaker. In
>>Taltos, Vlad had encountered Loraan with a possibly dead, "preserved" soul
>>(Aliera in staff mode), and the chain soon-to-be-named-Spellbreaker.
>>Coincidence? Steve being evil? (*grin*) Plotting?
>>

>Seems like a very sharp observation to me.  L doesn't have a very
>powerful Morganti weapon lying around though - wouldn't V have noticed?
>And wouldn't L have used it during the battle if he could have?
>Well, maybe he was distracted - but I would suspect he'd have grabbed
>Spellbreaker if at all possible.  Setting that aside, if I realized I
>had half a great weapon in my lab, I think I'd slap it around my wrist
>despite my plain sense of fashion.  Also I think I'd put some wards
>around it so the cleaning staff didn't decide to snag it...

I agree; it is certainly makes sense in hindsight, with what we know you
can do with a soul and a chain (presumably Loraan can obtain a Morganti
weapon any time he wants, so maybe he even has one lying around
elsewhere in the keep). However, Loraan is a wizard, and I have a
feeling that even if he had the Morganti weapon in the same room as the
soul and the chain, he would have preferred to fight with sorcery and
let his goons do the physical fighting; also, with his being a wizard
and all, slapping Spellbreaker on his wrist may actually deactivate
various protections. Finally, with what we know of Loraan's character,
he'd be as worried of the cleaning staff snagging the chain as he would
be of the furniture in the room of doing the same.

Jose

--
Jose Marquez             | There are 10 types of people in
jhereg69 at earthlink.net   | the world: those who understand