Dragaera

swag

Michele Riccio mr1 at rcosta.com
Wed Dec 8 12:16:33 PST 2004

On 8 Dec 2004 at 12:28, Jerry Friedman wrote

> I'm not familiar with this use of "swag".  Is it a fan thing?
> (The Internet is my only contact with fandom.)

I don't know if it's fannish - I've always known it to be another word
for "stuff" or "gifts".  As in, "Did you get much swag for Christmas?"

The American Heritage Dictionary has some interesting usages:

NOUN:	1a. An ornamental drapery or curtain draped in a curve
between two points. b. An ornamental festoon of flowers or fruit. c.
A carving or plaster molding of such an ornament.
2. Slang Stolen property; loot.
3. Australian The pack or bundle containing the personal belongings
of a swagman.
4. Slang Herbal tea in a plastic sandwich bag sold as marijuana to
an unsuspecting customer.
INTRANSITIVE VERB:	Inflected forms: swagged, swag·ging, swags
1. Chiefly British To lurch or sway.
2. Australian To travel about with a pack or swag.
ETYMOLOGY:	Probably of Scandinavian origin.

Michele Riccio
mr1 at rcosta.com