Dragaera

Kushiel's Dart

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Dec 12 07:57:40 PST 2004

I read the following in Steve's Weblog:
Sun Oct 3rd, 2004 6:25 PM

I've just read _Kushiel's Dart_ by Jacqueline Carey.  It's
the first fantasy novel by someone I didn't know that has
excited me in longer than I care to remember.  There is a cultural
and religious background that is wonderfully done--that in
itself being pretty rare--and runs in and out of the plot
bouncing off it in odd ways.  The center of the story is palace
intrigue, and I can't think of it ever being done better since
Dumas.

I could go on at some length, but skip that.  Just read it.

So I am reading it.

I read a couple of chapters and then get to masochism and sadism and have to
stop.  I just don't enjoy that stuff.   I put the book aside and read
something quick and easy such as _Life of Pi_, then read another chapter or
two until I get uncomfortable again.

I had to give up reading Diane Mott Davidson in the first book when I read
how she would go back to her first husband who purposefully broke her
knuckles with a hammer.   I did read a review that in her latest book, her
ex is the victim.

My wife didn't have problems with either of these.  Assassination is one
thing.  And even pain.   I love the opening scene in the movie _Lawrence of
Arabia_ where Lawrence explains the "trick" in letting a match go out
against his fingers.  (the trick is not to mind).   But associating pain
with love doesn't work with me and messes up my enjoyment of the books.

I wonder what other turn-offs readers have similar to this, causing us to
not like otherwise enjoyable books.