Dragaera

SKJB / Dream Cafe' swag ideas

Mark A. Mandel thnidu at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 12:06:47 PST 2004

--- Shannon Wimberly <shannon3d at yahoo.com> wrote:

> An aside:  My gaming merchandizer husband tells me that in the promotional
> sense, swag is actually an acronym.  It's short for (S)hit (W)e (A)ll (G)et.

Unlikely. That's a popular kind of made-up etymology, like For Unlawful Carnal
Knowledge and Port Out, Starboard Home (both false).

OK, now I have checked the Oxford English Dictionary online. Here's their
definition #9 for the noun "swag":

 9. A thief's plunder or booty; gen. a quantity of money or goods unlawfully
acquired, gains dishonestly made. slang.

  1794 Sessions Papers Central Criminal Court Jan. 341/1 There are very few
gentlemen here on the jury but what know what a swag is; the meaning is, a
bundle of clothes that are stolen from any place. 1812 J. H. VAUX Flash Dict.
s.v., The Swag is a term used in speaking of any booty you have lately
obtained..except money. 1827 SCOTT Let. to Croker in Lockhart, I have been
stealing from you, and..I send you a sample of the swag. 1838 DICKENS O. Twist
xix, ‘It's all arranged about bringing off the swag, is it?’ asked the Jew.
1862 CALVERLEY Charades VI. v. in Verses & Transl. (ed. 2) 95 While one hope
lingers, the cracksman's fingers Drop not his hard-earned ‘swag’. 1891
Newcastle Daily Jrnl. 18 Mar. 5/3 This genial gentleman went off to America
with the swag.
 <<<<<

I think that pretty much puts the kibosh on that supposed origin.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
   [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]