Dragaera

A Linguistic Note

Tue Dec 14 13:22:01 PST 2004

Noted in part because the idea has a vaguely Vladiad feel:

   Some years ago, one Ethan Mollick created the I Can Eat Glass Project,
   which he described thus:

   The Project is based on the idea that people in a foreign country have
   an irresistable urge to try to say something in the indigenous tongue.
   In most cases, however, the best a person can do is "Where is the
   bathroom?" a phrase that marks them as a tourist. But, if one says
   "I can eat glass, it doesn't hurt me," you will be viewed as an insane
   native, and treated with dignity and respect.

http://www.geocities.com/nodotus/hbglass.html