Dragaera

A Linguistic Note

erik at debill.org erik at debill.org
Wed Dec 15 11:40:26 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 09:17:07AM -0500, Bato001 at aol.com wrote:
> Either that or take the time to learn a second language. Even if *that*
> particular language is not the primary language spoken, (ie: Speaking spanish in
> France) at least you don't look like a dumb american who can't ( or even
> worse,  won't) learn a second language. French, Italian, Portugese and Spanish are
> similar enough that you can at least get by if you speak one of them.

I once had a hilarious conversation with a young man from France who
was desperately trying to find out what hotel my sister was staying in
on a visit to Paris.  He'd somehow managed to track down her home
number in Texas.  The catch was that neither of us spoke the other's
language and we had to use Spanish.  It worked, but the whole
situation was pretty funny.

--
Well I'm walking through the sand
In the desert of my mind