Dragaera

A Linguistic Note

Wed Dec 15 11:47:17 PST 2004

I was in the Marines , hence I traveled allot. One of those places I lived in was Okinawa, Japan. I gave up on Japanese after a few words and found if I try hard enough I can find someone that speaks English.

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Hart [mailto:philiph at slac.stanford.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 2:43 PM
To: dragaera at dragaera.info
Subject: Re: A Linguistic Note

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 Bato001 at aol.com wrote:

> French, Italian, Portugese and Spanish are similar enough that you can
> at least get by if you speak one of them.

In my experience one has to speak the language in question really really
well for this to work because it relies on overlaps of unusual vocab.
My luck pretending Dutch is German or Italian is French or Spanish is
Italian has been pretty crummy.

Anyway, everybody in the world ought to speak English.  It's an easy,
flexible language with a great children's literature.