Dragaera

Today's cooking recipe for an article on Dragaeran life, culture, and art.

FRIEDA2133 at aol.com FRIEDA2133 at aol.com
Fri Dec 24 10:11:57 PST 2004

Today's cooking extract is from Lord Adron's army kitchen outside
Dragaera City.

   "The two gentlemen set to work on the comestibles in their particular
fashions: Adron attacked his food as if it were the enemy, and
disposed his knife and his teeth as if they were the forces with which
he intended to rout the roasted duck, drive back the hard-crusted
bread, scatter the long-bean and rice, and force the confection of
apple, cream, and plum wine to surrender unconditionally.  Aerich,
meanwhile, treated these same dishes as if each were an honored guest,
and he did not so much devour them as hold conversation with them,
treating each with the courtesy and respect he thought it deserved.
It is difficult to say which of them enjoyed his meal the more, yet
certainly Adron enjoyed his more quickly--he was sipping strong wine
and wandering contentedly about the tent (if we may be permitted such
unfortunate euphony) while the Lyorn was contemplating the whipped,
frothy confection we have already mentioned, and wondering at the
best way to address it with the sweet biscuits at hand.
   'A most laudable repast,' he remarked and looked upon the dishes,
full and empty, and recalled their contents.
   Adron bowed, and gave the subaltern an approving look that she
would in due course take back to the chief of Adron's kitchen.  When
she had a last gathered up the dishes, napkins, and wine bottles,
Aerich sat back contentedly, signed, and said, 'Will You Highness
entertain a question?'
   'Gladly, my dear Lyorn,' said Adron, looking up from the patterns
of purple stones upon which he had, perhaps as an aid to digestion,
begun working once more.
   'I must apologize that this question is not related to the duck
who has given his life for our palates, nor, indeed, to the
elegant and thoroughly mysterious manner in which Your Highness's
chef has managed to season and prepare it over the spit with only
the tools of a traveling army at his disposal.'

Five Hundred Years After, Chapter the Nineteenth, page 282

Merry Christmas!

Bye.

Linda G.