Dragaera

Spoiler for ISSOLA in this post

Joy Jennifer Nicholson jjnichol at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 25 09:54:44 PST 2005

spoilers are here

I don't remember what made me come to this conclusion, but I had also
decided it was a pretty good likelihood that Sethra was grooming Vlad
to become a Lavode.We do know that she explictly referred to the
Lavode-in-training as "he", which eliminates Tanzendra (unless the
Dragaeran to English translation is being deceptive, but I don't think
Brust would really do that to us quite like that).

Vlad may be a short-lived Easterner, but he's also Kieron and Aliera's
brother, an old soul from the founding of the Empire.  Sethra's known
him for a long, long time.  Plus, a great weapon could potentially
extend his life span.

Heck, maybe Sethra even had a hand in seeing that this particular soul
ended up in this particular body, because being a
Easterner/Jhereg/Assassin/outcast/great-weapon-wielder/etc/etc/etc was
what was needed to forge the soul into what she/the empire needs.  She
was, after all, once offered godhood.