Dragaera

QWERTY vs Dvorak - anyone made the switch?

Thu Jan 27 08:50:17 PST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Jose Marquez wrote:

> As a translator and as a software developer, I'm surprised that I
> haven't exhibited any symptoms of RSI. Does playing the piano really
> alleviate this sort of thing to the extent that I haven't had any issues
> so far despite my less-than-ergonomic keyboards, chairs and desks?
> Anybody know how much of an impact the playing of an instrument can have
> on fending off RSI?

Speculatively: playing an instrument well requires the ability to keep the
hands from tensing and to be aware of fatigue.  For some (all?)
instruments good posture and correctly-maintained body position are
also essential.  Those might carry over into typing.

I play the flute, and as far as I know it's just not a perfect instrument
>from an ergonomic point of view.  The viola is supposed to be worse.
Probably there's some interplay between wear from performing and the above
effects.