Dragaera

duh! (Orca Spoilers)

Mon Jan 31 12:47:58 PST 2005

Thanks for the refresher on the names. I was working with the only one that
came from memory, with a certainty that I'd get it wrong. ;-)

>The deal between Vlad and Timmer was not so much "you get me the deed to
>the land I'm interested in and I'll kill Domm" so much as "we both want
>justice for what Domm did to Loftis, so arrange for Domm to be here at a
>certain time, and I'll take care of it; better that I get my hands
>dirty, as I'm already scum, than you bring down the Empire on you for
>Doing the Right Thing (eliminating Domm, I argue, and Vlad agrees, is
>the right thing to do). Although they "spoke Jhereg" at the meeting to
>get their meaning across, I would argue that the motivations and lack of
>payment differentiate this from actual "work."

I find this attitude rather interesting, moreso because it's being evinced
by multiple list readers.

The way I see it, Vlad and Timmer/whoever came to an "understanding". That
"understanding" was reached based upon a trading of favors. Vlad had no
incentive to stick his neck out any further than he already had unless
Timmer/whoever gave him what he wanted. At point, he owed that person a
debt. The incentive then was the discharging of the debt, which
Timmer/whoever then made possible. The definition of "work", to me, is the
creation and discharge of this debt between the two people. The justice of
the thing is just icing on the cake.

Let's look at it this way. Suppose Vlad was still in the Jhereg. The Demon
comes to him and says "I have a problem that I need handled with utmost
discretion. The person who handles this problem for me can expect to have
his territory doubled in size." Vlad says "My territory is big enough for
me, but I have a friend who is interested in expanding. I'll let him know
about the opportunity." He then carries out the hit and is rewarded with a
larger territory. No cash changes hands. Is this "work"?

Let's change the scenario slightly. The Demon visits Vlad and says "I'm
impressed with your operation. I'm recommending that the Council make you a
baron (he's originally a baronet)and double your territory." Vlad is
flattered and proud. The Demon makes good on his word and Vlad is made a
baron. A week later, the Demon drops by unexpectedly and asks "Do you like
your new digs? All happy and cozy?" When Vlad replies in the affirmative,
The Demon then says "BTW, I have this little problem and I was hoping you'd
know someone who could help me with it." Vlad accepts the contract and
performs the hit gratis as repayment for the promotion arranged by The
Demon. Is this "work"?

Maybe we should remove financial gaine from the picture entirely. Morollan
finds himself being blackmailed over some minor but embarassing thing. Vlad
visits The Demon and asks him to call off the blackmail. The Demon, an
obliging fellow, says "Seeing as it's the Lord Morrolan and that blackmail
was unauthorized, I'll write the blackmailer a note telling him to knock it
off. As it turns out, this fellow has caused us a bit of embarassment by
blackmailing several Lords and possibly even embezzling from The
Organization. Maybe you could deliver a letter to him? He'll be at location
X at time Y tomorrow evening for a meeting." Vlad ices the guy. Is this
"work"?

Is it the money changing hands that makes it "work" or is it the intention
of the two parties that makes it "work"? Is it the justice of a "deserved"
death over an "undeserved" death that makes it "work" or not?