Dragaera

duh! (Orca Spoilers)

Mon Jan 31 13:44:20 PST 2005

Both of these boil down to the same thing. In the first instance, I would
say yes, and in the second I would say no. The primary difference between
them being that in the second the Demon flat out states that he's exerting
his influence in the council (which is a relatively unique trait) to help
out Vlad, who is in a relatively unique position to help out the Demon
(considering his credentials). The first however could be a case of the
Demon simply giving some of his own territory (or acquiring territory from
someone else) to Vlad, which makes it analogous to currency, and any Jhereg
with some territory to spare could make a payment of this kind. So without a
little more detail these two scenarios are being examined on the basis of
two or three words.
The fact that the course of events is reversed in the two scenarios is
mostly immaterial.

> Maybe we should remove financial gaine from the picture entirely. Morollan
> finds himself being blackmailed over some minor but embarassing thing.
> Vlad
> visits The Demon and asks him to call off the blackmail. The Demon, an
> obliging fellow, says "Seeing as it's the Lord Morrolan and that blackmail
> was unauthorized, I'll write the blackmailer a note telling him to knock
> it
> off. As it turns out, this fellow has caused us a bit of embarassment by
> blackmailing several Lords and possibly even embezzling from The
> Organization. Maybe you could deliver a letter to him? He'll be at
> location
> X at time Y tomorrow evening for a meeting." Vlad ices the guy. Is this
> "work"?

No. Only the Demon (or similar high ranking Jhereg) could have provided that
assistance (in the form of implying that it's okay for Vlad to off the
teckla), so we have again a situation where two people are pretty uniquely
suited to helping each other. That's not to say that Vlad couldn't have just
offed the guy anyway, but this would have been riskier without that
agreement. That's also not to say that it's a morally agreeable solution to
the problem, however effective it might be.

> Is it the money changing hands that makes it "work" or is it the intention
> of the two parties that makes it "work"? Is it the justice of a "deserved"
> death over an "undeserved" death that makes it "work" or not?

IMO it's the currency changing hands. And when I say currency, I mean
anything that can be considered directly analogous to cash. Territory can be
called cash. Knowing that the Demon says you're clear to take out this guy
is not cash, and can't be called analogous to it. It's something that only a
council member can provide, which makes it a pretty unique consideration. A
favor; not some middle manager with a grudge and a big purse, those are a
dime a dozen. If there's no currency, then the principals are just
exchanging favors, providing a benefit to each other that they each can
spare.