Dragaera

duh!

Tue Feb 1 13:49:56 PST 2005

Steve Brust writes:
   Okay, someone check me if I'm wrong--I also like it when someone
  corrects my English errors (one of many reasons I so adore Pamela), but
  I've always used that phrase in this sense:

  "Bush was elected primarily by the backing of such industries as oil and
  major finance, which begs the question of who is served by the war in
  Iraq."  In other words, "begs the question" means something like,
  "raises the question and simultaneously answers it."  Is this correct,
  or am I asking the poor phrase to do too much work?

You're asking the poor phrase to do too much work.  "begs the
question" has a meaning; let's not overload it.  "raises the question"
or "leads to the question" is correct, and if the question is
simultaneously answered, that tells me that whoever wrote the above
quote needs an editor and a beating.

rone
--
Remember