Dragaera

evolution in language: OT.now on topic

Thu Feb 3 07:04:23 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 06:00:02AM -0700, Howard Brazee wrote:
> My wife, from St. Louis, refers to Warshington and Warsh.
>
> It's interesting that the West, where they are more a part of the native
> culture, "rodeo" is pronounced as if it were an English word, but the East
> is more likely to pronounce it as a Spanish word.

The obvious counter examples to that include jalapeno and saguaro.  Although
my favorite requires the telling of a true story that I got second hand
>from the person who experienced it first hand.

This person worked for the NIH (National Institute of Health) in Washington,
D.C.  Now, in DC a lot of things tend to be political, and political
correctness is rampant.  There was one particular lady who was particularly
militant about that, and one day she decided to browse her "Network
Neighborhood" for reasons lost to obscurity.  There she notices a computer
that is named Jesus Saves.  Now, working at a government agency in DC
this offends her, so she goes to my friend to track down who owns this.
He laughs and tells her he has other work to do, he might get to it eventually.
This is not good enough for her, so she goes to his boss and causes a ruckus.
Naturally, his boss comes and asks him to track it down.  So he does (this
requires him to determine the MAC address, track which switch it's
connected to so that they can trace the wiring to find the office).  They
do this and go to the office to talk to the person.  The office of Jesus
Saves (Hay-zoos Sav-ez).

-Jot
--
Jot Powers 	<books at bofh.com> 		http://www.bofh.com/books/