Dragaera

duh!

Casey Rousseau casey at the-bat.net
Thu Feb 3 12:09:24 PST 2005

pe wrote:
> If an argument isn't being had to settle and solve an issue,
> there's precious little point in having one. Knowledge and
> understanding are hardly to be had in the presence of
> continued ambiguity.

In my own experience, holding in tension two strongly held beliefs that
appear on the surface to be contradictory leads to a much deeper
understanding of both sides of the issue.  This may be less apparent in more
deterministic realms of exploration, but there are so many issues where we
(humanity) have not found the answers to these hard questions where living
with ambiguity and wrestling with it is much preferable to blindly adopting
one stance or the other.

I suppose my long term intent may still be to 'settle and solve' such
issues, but I think more often than not, were the solution so readily
apparent, there would be not so very much to argue about.

Casey