Dragaera

Introversion / Extraversion (was: Re: contradictions)

David Rodemaker dar at horusinc.com
Tue Feb 8 05:34:11 PST 2005

>>I've done Meyers-Briggs and/or Keirsey (it was several years ago and the
results seem to be in the same format); they are the only personality tests
I've ever found of any worth - because they told me something about myself
and human nature that I didn't already know.  The J/P distinction - I am
very heavily Perception, which means I don't schedule stuff or operate on a
schedule unless absolutely necessary, and when I read I was at the far end
of the spectrum, it was an epiphany.

However, in the realm of introversion, M-B / K doesn't tell me anything I
don't already know, and doesn't help convince my husband that all introverts
are not alike in scope and intensity.  All the discussions regarding E/I I
can find just use black-and-white phrasing.. they don't discuss the
differing degrees of each.  An actual article by some sort of scientific
entity on the latter is what I seek.<<

Problem the 1st: The M-B is so generic that it's basically worthless for
clinical work. Thus finding any sort of journal article is going to be
difficult...

Problem the 2nd: Finding access to PsychArticles (the APA database). Try
either the local library or the local junior college where you can get
access to the databases. That's the resource that you want to use.

Problem the 3rd: If you want a more in-depth examination of an Introversion
style in the format of a test then what you want is the NEO. This is also
happens to be one of those tests that requires a Master's (it's a schedule B
test) to administer and score, because they're the only ones who can buy it.
It's a non-pathology based personality assessment tool based on 5-Factor
trait theory. An excellent tool, and quite insightful. Here's a link to an
online version of the NEO...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/j/5/j5j/IPIP/

I've never used this and have no idea what the results even look like, I'm
familiar with and have used the NEO PI-R & S.

David