Dragaera

Defender always wins? (Was: Re: on contradictions and such)

J A 'Dusty' Sayers dusty at sayersnet.com
Wed Feb 9 16:43:38 PST 2005

Jeff Gibbons wrote:

>>As far as gunfights (in the spaghetti western style) there are two
>>schools of thought that I have heard; take your time and get a good,
>>well aimed shot off, or fire of a quick round in the general
>>direction to rattle your opponent, then fire an aimed shot while he
>>(or she) is checking for new holes. Discuss.

Well, the classic duel (at least in my part of the world) is the
Jackson-Dickinson duel, in which our illustrious General Jackson allowed
Dickinson to shoot first, actually hitting him and doing him a serious,
but not fatal, injury, then took all the time in the world to aim and
bring his enemy low.

(Actually, Jackson cheated, as his gun did not fully fire when he pulled
the trigger, after which he re-cocked it and fired, in violation of the
Code Duello--his own second ought to have shot him.  At least, that is
what many Jackson enemies report--apparently no-one at the duel itself
felt the need to object, including Mr Dickinson, who, of all people,
might have cause to be offended.)

--
J A Dusty Sayers

Home Page http://www.sayersnet.com/~dusty/
Rescue the Princess http://www.sayersnet.com/~dusty/rescue/

'Everybody generalizes from one example.  At least, I do.'
     -- Steven Brust