Dragaera

The Nuclear family

MedCat7 at aol.com MedCat7 at aol.com
Sat Feb 12 11:57:55 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/11/2005 7:28:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, Matthew Hunter <matthew at infodancer.org> writes:

>There's nothing barbaric about executing people who have
>committed sufficiently dire crimes.  Society has no obligation
>to support them once they have proven themselves unwilling to
>live by even the most basic rules of society.  To be honest, it's
>an option that should be a lot *easier* than it is presently.
>For example, I think it would be reasonable to apply the death
>penalty to any case of deliberate, premeditated murder.
>
>Now, making sure the person to be executed it actually guilty is
>another matter.

Some punishments of other countries are much better than ours. When I was in high school, our health teacher had a list of "How They Deal With Drunk Drivers In Other Countries" or something like that. My favorite is El Salvador (Ithink, I could be wrong); You first offence is your last, death by firing squad. In another country, they take you out so far from the city you drove in, and make you walk back under escort. Another one is you're basically embarassed to death. And so many more.

>> 2. Backward nations are still unable to provide their own citizens with
>> health care.
>
>Gee, people who can pay for the health care they desire get the
>best health care in the world here in the USA.

Not always true. Where I work, we provide the best health care no matter what. We have a program that makes us eat the cost of something if a patient truely can not afford to pay (ie: MRIs cost thousends of dollars, I don't make what I could be making because of it).
>Do you perhaps mean that a nation is backward if it doesn't force
>doctors to treat patients regardless of their ability to pay?

And doctors here are not always forced. Again, with speaking to a lot of providers where I work, they truly care about their patients and do what they can to help them. I know a few personally who would research the cheepest of the best to help their patients, then find financial aid for them. I know it sounds like only a hand full, but there are more out there. And once you're on the other side of the fence, you see everything more clearly.
-C