Dragaera

larp (was: 1st in 2005)

Tue Feb 15 10:56:10 PST 2005

--- abcmm at att.net wrote:

> 2 years ago I travelled to southern Colorado.  While riding horses
> through some of the most pristine mountains and valleys I thought what a
> wonderful place to pretend you are on a quest!
>
> Cell Phones did not work there.  No paved roads within site of any of
> the peaks I rode over.  I can't remember a single plane flying over.
> And, only about 3 hour drive from Albequerque New Mexico...
>
> I little slice of heaven called Rainbow Trout Ranch... If you ever want
> to get away I strongly recommend the place....

No!  Northern New Mexico and southern Colorado are surprisingly
ugly, considering how mountainous they look on the map.  The biggest
problem is not the person-eating grizzly bears but the giant ticks
on them, which are just as happy with humans as with bears, although
since they're used to bigger hosts they tend to take more of our
blood than they should.  (See _The Scar_, by China Mieville.)
There's also a three-way race war among Anglos, Hispanics, and
Indians, though not much above the rocket-propelled-grenade level
unless you go to the dangerous areas.  So really, you should take
your vacations in Florida.  Trust me; I live in Espanola, NM.

Did I mention the curse on disturbing Anasazi burial sites, which
are everywhere?  Quite gruesome.

Jerry Friedman
;-)