Dragaera

Time and longitude

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Feb 15 13:34:30 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:57:38 -0600, Mark Landin <marklandin at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I knew someone who hated the idea of going on Zulu time - how could
>> someone live if dawn hit at 9:00 PM? His position never made sense to
>> me.  But then, Daylight Savings Time never made sense to me, especially
>> since it was created before TV.
>
> DST was instituted to maximize the use of natural daylight during
> "daytime" hours. It's mainly for industrialized nations (even those
> without television!). If you maximize daylight hours, you should be
> able to reduce your use of artificial lighting during the "waking
> day", meaning a reduction in the amount of fuel oil consumed to
> generate electricity for lights and appliances. The US adopted it
> during WW1, although the UK had done so some years before.
>
> More information than you need here:
> http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/index.html

My big objection is quoted from that site:
Another complaint is sometimes put forth by people who wake at dawn, or
whose schedules are otherwise tied to sunrise, such as farmers. Farmers
often dislike the clocks changing mid year. Canadian poultry producer
Marty Notenbomer notes, "The chickens do not adapt to the changed clock
until several weeks have gone by so the first week of April and the last
week of October are very frustrating for us."

Daylight savings time does not save any daytime hours.   I just start to
see the sun when I arrive at work, and they change the clock so I am
driving to work in the dark again.   Nothing was saved.

But it is stupid that I'm stuck to a clock in the first place.