Dragaera

Kushiel's Dart

Wed Feb 16 00:58:16 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:03:33PM -1000, Charmian <worldserpent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:33:05 -0600, Lydia Nickerson <lydy at demesne.com> wrote:
> > At 12:36 AM -0600 2/16/05, Matthew Hunter wrote:
> > >You were (presumably) born a woman.  Would you say that your
> > >understanding of, reaction to, and behavior concerning your
> > >gender and sexuality are the same today as what you were born
> > >with?
> > You said that the reader isn't given the opportunity to understand
> > why she reacts as she does, nor does that aspect of her character
> > change.  As I understood you, you were referring to her sexual
> > masochism.  Rephrased, you would be saying, if I'm following you
> > correctly, that the readers aren't given an opportunity to understand
> > why she is a woman, nor does her gender grow or change detectably.
> > If I've misunderstood you point, would you please clarify?
> I kind of agree with Lydia here. In Kushiel's Dart, the masochism is a
> physical condition, just like being a woman or having hair a certain
> color. Specifically, a "gift" from the gods. But this makes it in some
> ways less interesting, because IRL s/m is generally understood as a
> psychological trait/taste preference, rather than a biological thing.
> In other words, it seems something outside of Phedre, imposed on her.
> But the books don't say that all people into s/m in the land of Terre
> D'Ange and the surrounding countries are into it because it's a gift
> from the gods, it seems to be portrayed sort of like it is in reality.
> So that messes with it a bit for me.

In brief -- my complaint isn't that the masochism is a physical
condition, but rather that it doesn't affect anything else about
her.  Take it away and nothing about her personality changes.
She has a unique gift, but how does that gift affect her?
How does she feel about it?  Hate it? Love it?  Vague hints.
It's not a character trait, it's a plot device.

Working within the analogy, a woman's sexuality at 13 is a lot
different than it is at 16, 18, 25, 30... it's not static, and
it's not just an on-off switch.

Or, to use another analogy, we know that Vlad prefers a light,
long blade with both a point and a cutting edge, and can fight
with a dagger in his off-hand but usually uses spellbreaker or
throws things.  We know that Phedre prefers... what?

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt