Dragaera

Kushiel's Dart

Lydia Nickerson lydy at demesne.com
Wed Feb 16 12:45:09 PST 2005

At 12:02 PM 2/16/2005 -0700, Howard Brazee wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:59:07 -0600, Lydia Nickerson <lydy at demesne.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Another complaint I have about her sexuality
>>is that it's repetitive.  Silk ropes, whip, X-acto knife, orgasm.
>>Many real sadists and masochists have varied fetishes and like to
>>act out dramas (which one of Phedre's customers does once, if I
>>remember correctly).
>>   You know, most people's sex is repetitive.  Most couples fall into a
>>comfortable set of behaviors, and occasionally experiment, but tend to
>>Moreover, adventuresome in bed isn't remotely necessary for a good sex
>>life.  Some people like stability and predictability.  Others,
>>demonstrably, not.
>
>But when someone is hired out to be a special cortesian with a variety of
>partners, this isn't so applicable.

Um, how many prostitutes do you know?  Frankly, imagination is not a
hallmark of people who seek out that kind of service.  How do I know?  I
worked in a massage parlour for a year, and several of my friends had been
in the life for quite some time.  There are people who are extremely
creative, but better than 90% of them have fairly predictable
desires.  This includes the BDSM community.  I enjoyed _Kushiel's Dart_ a
great deal, but I was ever so grateful that it didn't get into the role
playing stuff.  Personally, it squicks me.  On the other hand, I thought
that Kushiel's patrons were unusually interesting and creative.  A little
over the top, but descriptions of real life lack the edge that you want in
fiction, even though as an actual experience, real life can be very sharp
indeed.

Lydia Nickerson	lydy at demesne.com
Dulciculi Aliquorum