Dragaera

Kushiel's Dart

David Rodemaker dar at horusinc.com
Wed Feb 16 17:22:43 PST 2005

>>Another complaint I have about her sexuality
>>is that it's repetitive.  Silk ropes, whip, X-acto knife, orgasm.
>>Many real sadists and masochists have varied fetishes and like to
>>act out dramas (which one of Phedre's customers does once, if I
>>remember correctly).
>>   You know, most people's sex is repetitive.  Most couples fall into a
>>comfortable set of behaviors, and occasionally experiment, but tend to
>>Moreover, adventuresome in bed isn't remotely necessary for a good sex
>>life.  Some people like stability and predictability.  Others,
>>demonstrably, not.
>
>But when someone is hired out to be a special cortesian with a variety of
>partners, this isn't so applicable.

Um, how many prostitutes do you know?  Frankly, imagination is not a
hallmark of people who seek out that kind of service.  How do I know?  I
worked in a massage parlour for a year, and several of my friends had been
in the life for quite some time.  There are people who are extremely
creative, but better than 90% of them have fairly predictable
desires.  This includes the BDSM community.  I enjoyed _Kushiel's Dart_ a
great deal, but I was ever so grateful that it didn't get into the role
playing stuff.  Personally, it squicks me.  On the other hand, I thought
that Kushiel's patrons were unusually interesting and creative.  A little
over the top, but descriptions of real life lack the edge that you want in
fiction, even though as an actual experience, real life can be very sharp
indeed.

---

As another note - Phaedre is known/hired specifically because of who/what
she is - and comes from a culture that accepts BDSM as a basically natural
style of sexual activity.

The chances of somebody paying her for a simple BJ are pretty small - and as
is noted in the later books. *She* gets to pick and choose her partners -
much more in the vein of a classic French Courtesan as opposed to a
modern-day streetwalker.

David Rodemaker