Dragaera

evolution in language: OT.now on topic

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Feb 18 13:20:27 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:28:41 -0500, Steve Simmons <scs at di.org> wrote:

> Even tho I'm from Indiana, I'd never heard how the locals pronounce
> Versailles.  When I got there for a visit and used the anglicized French
> pronunciation, they angrily corrected me.  Ditto a Texan correcting me
> firmly on how Amarillo TX is said.

An odd one is that the pronunciation city of Pueblo, Colorado is becoming
more "Spanish" over time - the pronunciation that its residents used to
use is dying out.

The town of Nevada, IA is pronounced neither like the state nor like the
Spanish word (what would you name a state that is known for being covered
with desert?)