Dragaera

duh!

Mark A. Mandel thnidu at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 19:48:25 PST 2005

--- Martin Wohlert <martin_wohlert at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I know that with radio and TV Swedish has actually become much more
> standardized in the last hundred years, and I suspect it's the same with
> English. We're moving towards conformity, not away from it. Or maybe both
> ways at the same time. ;)

Both. Linguists and language lovers have long lamented [I swear, that
alliteration was unintentional] the decline of local dialects, but much to our
surprise, American dialect divergence is continuing and even perhaps
accelerating. (now, was that the Northern Cities Shift I was thinking of,
or...?)

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
   [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]