Dragaera

Weblog

FRIEDA2133 at aol.com FRIEDA2133 at aol.com
Sat Feb 19 21:27:24 PST 2005

Hi,

Maybe what Steve needs is a patron.

>From AOL Dictionary by Merriam-Webster

Patron (noun)
"Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Medieval Latin
& Latin; Medieval Latin patronus patron saint, patron of a benefice,
pattern, from Latin, defender, from patr-, pater
Date: 14th century
1 a : a person chosen, named, or honored as a special guardian,
 protector,  or supporter
b : a wealthy or influential supporter of an artist or writer
2 : one that uses wealth or influence to help an individual, an
institution,  or a cause "

For example:

Sir Paarfi of Roundwood various patrons:

The Phoenix Guards

"Presented, as Always, With Humble Respects
To Lady Parachai of Redstaff
In Hopes that it will Meet with her Approval"

Five Hundred Years After

"Presented, as Always
To the Countess of Garnier
With Gratitude and Hope"

The Paths of the Dead, The Lord of Castle Black, and Sethra Lavode

"Presented, as Always,
To Marchioness Poorborn
With Gratitude and Affection"

It might be a little hard to revive something from the 14th Century.

I still like the T-shirt idea, even though, I probably will not have
any Lavodewear by the time Sethra Lavode is published in paperback.

Hmmm, Patron (noun)
"3 : one who buys the goods or uses the services offered especially
 by an establishment"

Heh, doesn't that make me a patron because I buy books? And they
make great gifts too.

Bye.

Linda G.