Dragaera

The Man from Shemhaza (SPOILERS)

Tue Feb 22 12:23:24 PST 2005

melalvai wrote:

> Ok, I have to disagree.

That's okay.  We get a good deal of that around here. <grin>

> Here's what I found confusing (SPOILERS AHEAD):
> Mr. Brust usually does us the kindness to put in clues for the unexpected,
> which are meaningless at the time but after you get surprised you suddenly
> go "ah ha! That's what that meant!" When the protagonist said he was the
> killer I was completely taken aback. I went back through and looked and
> everything was pretty convincing that he was innocent, particularly where he
> thinks he's being questioned "under the Orb" (some lie detector variant of
> that world, anyway). So I have to admit, I was disappointed.

Hmm...I'll read it again and look for clues, but the lack of them
doesn't mean it's a bad story, or even that one need read other Theives'
World stories to understand.

Also, I was curious about the lie-detector section when I read it, and
while it might not be considered a "clue", it was suspicious (or, at
least, I found it so).

Perhaps our tastes vary slightly.  I thought it was grand, took me
by surprise, and loved every second of shock I felt.

See, now I gotta go read it again...

:)
Chris

"Life is the nightmare that leaves its mark upon you
in order to prove that it is, in fact, real."
	-Thomas Ligotti- 'The Sect of the Idiot'