Dragaera

V.S.S. Dzur Mountain

Sat Feb 26 17:48:44 PST 2005

Book of Taltos pg 313-314 - The emperor sits apart and watches all that goes
on to ... fend off the disasters that our world tries to throw at us from
time to time--disasters you can hardly conceive of. I assure you, for
example, that the stories of the ground shaking and fire spitting forth from
it and winds that carried people off during the Interregnum are not myths,
but things that would happen were it not for the Orb.

The Lord of Castle Black pg 44-45 - Lord Drien was known to have favored
extravagant plans of all sorts, and was better than usual in carrying them
out. In this case, his idea was for a series of towers, anchored in [Nacine]
to serve as a center of communication between the coast to the south, the
Shallow Sea to the east, the Adrilankha River to the west, and Dzur Mountain
to the north ... The Vallista, however, had barely begun their work when
Dzur Mountain, some seventy or eighty miles north, had unexpectedly erupted,
either because of the arcane activities of the Enchantress or in spite of
them. The eruption had resulted in a remarkable flow of lava, which, in
turn, resulted in the [Hightower Brook] becoming blocked to such an extent
that it was no longer suitable for navigation ... [Later] Drien [died] and
the Cycle had turned, bringing to preeminence a Lyorn Emperor.

The first passage suggests that natural disasters are prevented by the Orb,
but the second suggests that towards the end of some previous Dragon reign
(prior to a Lyorn reign, so long before the Interregnum... Alexx dates it at
197,000 BI), Dzur Mountain erupted.

If the Orb prevents natural disasters, why wasn't the eruption at Dzur
Mountain prevented?  Especially since it appears to have caused quite a bit
of damage.

It seems to me that either the Orb couldn't, or the Emperor/Empress chose
not to stop it...  Set that aside for a moment.

The other odd detail about this eruption is that it seems to have occurred
in a different "part" of Dzur Mountain than most other references to Dzur
Mountain.  For example:

The Lord of Castle Black pg 47 - not fifteen miles from [Nacine] are the
ruins of a castle that once floated above this district [future home of
Castle Black]

The Lord of Castle Black pg 182,197 - The distance from [the future home of
Castle Black] to Dzur Mountain was not long--only some forty or forty-five
miles

Nacine to Morrolan's Encampment is about 15 miles, and Dzur Mountain is 40
or 45 miles from there, so at its furthest, Dzur Mountain should be 55 to 60
miles from Nacine, not 70 or 80 miles.

Of course, Dzur Mountain *is* a (presumably large) mountain, so this
discrepancy is not in and of itself a problem, but consider one more
passage:

The Paths of the Dead pg 335-336 - there was a remarkable sight some five
hundred leagues to the south and a little west [from Deathgate Falls] ... in
the western part of the duchy of Arylle [the Necromancer appears, and
travels] the twenty leagues [to] Dzur Mountain ... from the north and the
east, which permitted a more gentle, gradual ascent up that part of the
mountain that resembled the tail of the great cat, and then along its back
until, reaching its head, she came around to the west in order to climb that
which can be called its face

This suggests that Dzur Mountain "faces" south or southwest.

So perhaps the eruption occurred at the "rear" of Dzur Mountain, 10 to 25
miles north/northeast of the "head".

That's about as far as reasonable speculation goes, and this is the
reasoning I'm using on the geography project.

If you're willing to make the plunge into unreasonable speculation, it
occurred to me that the above fits in nicely with the suggestion made on
this list (I'm sorry, I don't remember who made it) that Dzur Mountain might
be some kind of spacecraft.  One would presume the engines would be in the
rear, so perhaps the "eruption" was actually the firing of its engines?

Bryan