Dragaera

The Nuclear family

Fri Feb 11 16:39:40 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Matthew Hunter wrote:

> I can, however, easily separate out a list of nations that I
> would not under any circumstances trust with nuclear weapons.
> I can make an even shorter list of nations for which I would put
> my life on the line in a military action to prevent their
> acquisition of a nuclear weapon, or to destroy such capability
> already in existance.

While I applaud your willingness to risk death for the good of your
country, I doubt we will see any more military actions aimed at
states.  Pakistan is there - probably NK; Iran (assuming that's on
your list) seems likely to develop nukes whatever we do.
I'm much more concerned about non-state actors - the flourishing
and metastasizing al Qaeda, or Hamas, or some unknown group biding its
time.