Dragaera

Assassination as a means of policy change

Wed Mar 9 12:05:25 PST 2005

>Jeff G. asked:
> > What are your personal opinions on assassination as a means
> > to effect policy by (or within) a government?

Overall, I'd say assassination alone is not a particularly effective way to
enact policy change... I think most assassinations come about as a result of
single individuals or small groups of individuals (or military coups) which
are not largelyl representative of majority opinions.  If enough members of
a society are not in support of the change in policy/government, short of
forceful take-over by the assassinating party, a meaningful form of
social/policy change is not likely to be achieved by assassination alone.
If people are not ready for a change in the status quo, even if a leader is
killed, he/she will most likely just be replaced by someone similar.

Kelly's movement in the books is a slightly different case because of the
Marxian ideology underlying it.  Marx's basic ideas about revolution (at
least as I understand them) center around the fact that revolution needs to
come from amongst the masses.  Top down policy changes (such as
assassinations) will never be able to effect social change because the
majority of people are not ready for that change to occur.  However, if a
movement starts out among the masses (as it did in the books) and grows from
there, and the end result of that movement is the assassination of the
current regime, then it might make a difference.   So basically, I'd say
assassination is only an effective means of social change if it is the
result of a shift in opinion; I don't think assassination does a very good
job of creating that shift in and of itself.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents!
Megan