Dragaera

Assassination as a means of policy change

Wed Mar 9 13:04:12 PST 2005

>What are your personal opinions on assassination as a means to effect
>policy by (or within) a government?

It's morally wrong and ethically wrong. I'd say that it's ultimately bad for
the health of the government in general. The standards a government uses to
justify its actions tend to be used against it both within and without. A
government that openly used assassination as a tool of policy  is one that
would tear itself apart as well as engender suspicion and mistrust among the
populace.

It's still wrong to use it in secret, of course, but in that case the
question becomes "how good are you at covering your tracks?" If you aren't
on the level of the Cigarette Smoking Man, then you'd probably be better off
coming up with an alternate plan.

This leads to a sort of unstated supposition of mine, which is that
assassination as a tool only works for governments which are relatively
static. When the functionaries change every couple of years, I would think
it becomes more difficult to do the neccesary cover-ups and plausible
denials. I'm not a big believer in the "shadow government" but I'd imagine
that if such a system of agencies existed that they would pick and choose
their targets carefully rather than allow themselves to be used as a tool of
whatever beauracrat happened to in charge this year.

>does this type of "moral blockage" lead to the type of abuses shown
>in our own world (specifically the Meiji Restoration in Japan)?

Hmmm... This is the first time I've ever heard the word "abuse" used in
association with the Meiji Restoration. What sorts of abuses are you
referring to here?