Dragaera

Kiera, Verra, and divine motivations

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Mar 10 11:36:02 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:48:36 -0700, Jeff G. <Log0n5150 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Hmm...Verra is called the Demon Goddess by Easterners, not Dragaerans.
>> I suspect this is because the Easterners were the ones who summoned her
>> (well, one of them, at any rate) and banished her from a Kingdom.  I've
>> always thought that was the reason she was called a Demon.
>>
>> But maybe it's because of that extra knuckle--Easterners are a
>> superstitious lot. <grin>
>>
>> Chris
>>

> I had two ideas about her name. First, she was a servant of the Jenoine,
> as
> described by Sethra, so she could be called a demon for that reason. Or,
> perhaps her name comes from the ability to control demons. (possibly
> learned
> from the Jenoine while she was a demon?)

Easterners don't have the same language nor the same relationship between
deities as Dragaerans do.   The nickname could come from some aspect of
the past.    Remember that the God of Abraham was called "terrible" and
"awful", which were characteristics that were valued highly by a tribe
surrounded by big bad enemies.

Easterners might not have had the "controlled" definition of demon - but
are more interested in the idea that demons make terrible enemies.   They
tell their enemies that their god is the demon-goddess.