Dragaera

Assassination as a means of policy change

Thu Mar 10 12:19:50 PST 2005

I think you're thinking of ours society today where the ruler has to
>have  the consent of the ruled.    In a strong dictatorship, a prince might
>  assassinate the king, take over, and make significant policy changes.
>Because it doesn't matter what others think.

very good point - I am definitely coming from a modern perspective, but even
historically if the people hated the government enough, they did sometimes
take it upon themselves to reject government policy (French Revolution, for
example).  I guess my main point is that while policy change can definitely
be effected by assassination, I don't think that kind of change is nearly as
sustainable as change that people arrive at on their own.  If there is a
foreceful takeover by a government, the changes they enact only last as long
as that government, which admittedly could be a really long time.  I guess I
am thinking more in terms of longscale change.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now!
Megan