Dragaera

City of Heroes and us

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:19:40 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:58:10 -0800, Shawn Burns <s1burns at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> At the very least, leaving aside whether we should believe Paarfi or
> Morrolan regarding who was with Zerika, we seem to be able to doubt his
> statement that sorcery doesn't work at the Falls, since the only evidence he
> gives of experiencing (or knowing about) such difficulty happens before he
> becomes a sorceror or when sorcery itself doesn't function. Maybe it just is
> the case that sorcery is difficult that close to the Falls, but we shouldn't
> conclude it based on this testimony alone.

Haha! Maybe someone's been messing with Morrolan's memories in the
same way somebody's been messing with Vlad's, e.g. causing him to
forget the "embarrassing ritual" that Morrolan performed at the Falls.
Morrolan might be astonished to learn that he wasn't there at the
falls, and didn't try sorcery.

> But can he say that it "becomes more difficult", assuming the only time he's
> been there was with Zerika (if that is even true)?

You're asking how it can be known at all? Perhaps it's common
knowledge, and his (false?) memory simply backs up that knowledge.

> This is more than just
> saying he couldn't use sorcery at the falls, which might be believable given
> that there was no Orb and maybe he didn't try it until then. This implies
> that it was easier on the way, which implies that Morrolan was using sorcery
> (or was with someone who was using it); which, unless he's been there more
> than once, means that someone was using sorcery during the Interregnum.
> Which seems like crap. And it would be very, immature, for Morrolan to be
> trying to impress Vlad by making things up; 6 year-olds do that to impress
> their classmates. Then, Morrolan, for all his age, is still a very young
> Dragon, so maybe he's not immune from wanting to impress strangers in this
> way.

Aside: Not all that young, I think. Khaavren was on his own at around
age 100; that Teckla sorcerer (Paresh?) moved out of his parent's
house at age 60; there's a comment in FHYA about how Aliera still
looks young at the age of 500; Vlad in Phoenix, speaking of the young
man with the king, compares 200-300 Dragaeran years to 18 or 19 human
years. I'm guessing Morrolan thinks like someone in his early 30s.

--
something funny