Dragaera

Vlad's not a Jhereg at heart

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:20:03 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:32:29 -0800, Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:
> I'd say it means that they know exactly what it is and what it's capable of.
> Notice that when they made Morollan unrevivifiable, they kept him intact.
> They didn't try to destroy his soul and they didn't mutilate his body in
> various ways that might have achieved the same end. They used sorcery to
> insure that it was not possible to reconnect the soul to the body AND to
> insure that there wouldn't be an attempt to create him a new body. We don't

I think you're assuming your conclusion here. There's no particular
reason to think that anti-revivification spells on the body prevent a
new body from being formed, or to think that forming a new body is a
particularly feasible thing to do. The Jhereg who took out Morrolan
were obviously not as tricky as they could be, or they would have
placed the spell AND cut off his head in case (as it turned out) the
spell could be broken. You _could_ say that the fact that they didn't
Morganti him is an indication that they knew how Great Weapons work
and that Morganti would be futile; it's possible.

> know much about the process used by a Great Weapon to store its owners soul
> but it may well be that the rules of revivification apply regardless. If you
> can't provide a body to reanimate within three days then the soul becomes
> irretrievable.

If this speculation is true then your argument above gains some
weight, but it was still a mistake not to cut off his head. Presumably
building a new body--if possible--would have taken enough time to
allow them to shine Mellar, which is better than having Morrolan back
in action immediately.

> I imagine a scene something like this:

[snip scene] Cute.

Max Wilson