Dragaera

Love and Marriage

Tue Mar 29 12:34:00 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, David Rodemaker wrote:

> I think what would be most interesting is if the marital/mating patterns of
> the various houses parallel the habits of whatever animal they are matched
> with. Such that the other reason that the various Houses don't marry and
> interbreed is because the whole situation just feels 'wrong' on a whole
> 'nother instinctual level.

I like this idea but I haven't been able to convince myself that the young
Vlad would have passed up the chance to comment on Dragaeran animalism in
this context.  True, he only learns the genetic truth in _Jhereg_, but the
Texts are so concerned with prejudice that something so juicy would have
been mentioned.

Note however my hypothesis explaining Yendis' lack of distinguishing
visible characteristics and the taint of their name: they're cuckoos.
And note the sharp observation by someone on the list that Dzur
croosbreeds seem to be common...