Dragaera

Aliera's companion in the Paths of the Dead

Sun Apr 10 22:41:12 PDT 2005

> Verra is talking to Aliera in the Paths of the Dead, explaining (sort of)
> why Aliera and Vlad can leave but Morrolan in stuck having to stay. Aliera
> had just previously aquired Kieron's sword.  Verra tells Aliera that if she
> was not the Dragon Heir to the Throne, the gods would have required Aliera,
> and her "COMPANION", to stay in the Paths of the Dead.

I think she's speaking of Morrolan.

> Verra had just explained why Vlad could leave and it had nothing to do with
> Aliera being the Dragon Heir, so he is not the companion mentioned. Verra
> has stated that theGods won't let Morrolan leave, so he can't be the
> companion mentioned.

I think you have Aliera and 2 companions, Vlad and Morrolan.  Verra
has just discounted Vlad, so now is speaking of Morrolan.

I think what is missing is the subtle difference between "can" (physically
possible) and "can" (the gods will allow)

Aliera and Vlad are physically capable of leaving because their blood
is not string dragaeran.  Morollan is not physically capable of leaving
because his blood is strictly dragaeran.

The gods did not want to ALLOW Aliera to leave, but Verra, the position
in the cycle and the fact that she is heir creates a situation where they
are willing to allow it.  They had never considered an easterner coming
down, so they decided it's allowed this once (due to the oversight) but
it won't be again.  Morrolan they don't have to worry about because of
the previous paragraph.  Once that gets fixed, the gods aren't consulted
before they leave so they sneak out.  I'm sure Verra is willing to let
it slide.

> Is there more to Kieron's sword than mentioned so far, something that would
> make Verra refer to it as Aliera's "COMPANION"? Something like maybe it is
> sentient and possably another of the seventeen great weapons?

I'm pretty sure it isn't one of the Great Weapons...primarily because
it takes Blackwand to reveal Pathfinder.  The obvious counter argument
is that Kieron's and Pathfind didn't meet, Blackwand stepped in, but I
think it had to (plot wise) because it would have been revealed otherwise.

Text ref left as reference for the conversation.

> TALTOS (page 162-163)
> "Your Easterner friend could never have come here without a living body to
> carry him. No, the soul doesn?t matter, but it?s more complicated than
> that. It is the blood. As a living man he could bring himself here, and as
> a living man he can leave.? She suddenly looked at me. ?Once. Don?t come
> back, Fenarian.? I tried not to look as if I were shaking.
> Vera went on, ?And as for you, Aliera? ? Her voice trailed off and she
> smiled.
> Aliera flushed and looked down. ?I see.?
> ?Yes. In your case, as perhaps your friends told you, I had some difficulty
> in persuading certain parties to allow you to leave. If you weren?t the
> heir to the throne, we would have required you to stay, and your companion
> with you. Are you answered??
> Aliera nodded without looking up.
> ?What about me, boss??
> Shit. I hadn?t thought of that. I screwed up my courage and said, ?Goddess,
> I need to know??
> ?Your familiar shares your fate, of course.?
> ?Oh. Yes. Thank you.?

-Jot
--
 Jot Powers      http://www.superpowers.us      <books at bofh.com>
"Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on