Dragaera

Sethra & Paarfi

Thu Apr 14 11:51:48 PDT 2005

I'm going to be arrogant and decide that this doesn't really require spoiler
space. :-P

>The Necromancer is a demon. Apparantly that's a subset of the undead in
>Steve's world. She's always been a demon, as I understand it.

A "demon" in Dragaeran terms is really nothing more than an entity who has
been summoned from another world and who can be controlled by those with the
knowledge and power to do so. In _Issola_, Sethra has a conversation with
Vlad about the Gods in which she asserts that in some ways the only
difference between a demon and a God is that the former can be controlled
while the latter cannot. The Necromancer is, I think, just undead due to the
nature of her studies rather than due to undeath being a defining
characteristic of demons.

She also happens to mention to Vlad at this point that The Necromancer is a
demon. When he asks a question about controlling her, she recommends that he
not try as she might take it amiss. :-)