Dragaera

House characteristics

Matthew Walsh walshm at ipfw.edu
Mon Apr 18 19:48:24 PDT 2005

On Apr 18, 2005, at 8:40 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> I'd like comments and suggestions from people here, especially on
> anything that's clearly wrong, and then on anything solidly known
> about any of the houses that I have omitted.   More examples of famous
> house members would be good -- and please provide cites for where they
> appear.  I need to add the cites for the ones I've got so far.

For the Athyra, I'm not sure "cold and distant intellectuals" really
covers it.  My impression is that knowledge isn't as important to them
as power, and that understanding something is more a means to control
it than an end in itself.  (TPG p.121: "...still it was the aftermath
of the reign of the Athyra, a House with as little use for impractical
knowledge as the House of the Dragon would have for anything that
didn't cut or thrust.")

The Duke of Wellborn, once Discreet to Tortaalik I, might qualify as a
famous Athyra.  (Introduced in Chapter the Twenty-First of TPG.)

- - Matt - -