Dragaera

House characteristics

Mon Apr 18 21:28:34 PDT 2005

> I've been assembling some House pages that I'd like people's input
> on
[...]
> I'd like comments and suggestions from people here, especially on
> anything that's clearly wrong, and then on anything solidly known
> about any of the houses that I have omitted.   More examples of
famous
> house members would be good -- and please provide cites for where
they
> appear.  I need to add the cites for the ones I've got so far.
[...]
> I'd love to have artwork, especially of the animals, and will make

I _intended_ to do some artwork of the animals (a graphic cycle), but
got bogged down in the map project (which, believe it or not, I'm
still working on...).

Here's a couple of text references for the house animals:

Athyra

Taltos (Book of Taltos 1-174) pg 113 - a large brown bird that I
recognized as an athyra studied us with one eye.

Brokedown Palace pg 44,46,49 - on a branch ... sat an athyra with its
thick brown plumage and hooked beak.

Tsalmoth

The Phoenix Guards pg 24 - one can find the small paths left by the
antelope and the tsalmoth.

Athyra (Book of Athyra 1-208) pg 92 - his thoughts running in circles
like mating tsalmoths.

Neither of those sounds very bearlike, but then again, neither sounds
like the other tsalmoth theory, the clam that climbs trees...

As far as famous House members go...  do you mean "well known in the
world of Dragaera" or "well known to the reader" or "representative of
the House"?  Here are some examples of all of those:

Athyra - Loraan

Dragon - Kieron, Sethra the Younger, Skinter/Kana, Uttrik, Kytraan,
Norathar

Dzur - Tazendra, Sennya, Ibronka

Easterner - Arra, Noish-pa, Laszlo/Brimford, Kelly

Hawk - Paarfi

Jhereg - Mario, the Demon, Kiera (?)

Lyorn - Aerich, Shaltre

Phoenix - Illista, Zerika