Dragaera

House characteristics

Mark A. Mandel thnidu at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 22:57:17 PDT 2005

--- Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:
> David, in the Easterners' section you write:
>
> "Easterners can become members of House Jhereg by buying a title. We don't
> know if they can become Citizens of the Empire in any other way."
>
> I believe we know of two other ways.
>
> In _Brokedown Palace_, we meet Miklos on his way home to Fenario after
> having spent some years working as a laborer for a Dragaeran lord of one
> sort or another. He has a link to the Orb by virtue of having joined House
> Tekla. The implication is that anyone can join House Tekla simply by asking
> since, well, who would WANT to be a Tekla in the Empire?

> The other way is in _Lord of Castle Black_. When Zerika awards the title of
> Lord Brimford to The Warlock, I believe she states that as an Imperial Title
> it also includes citizenship. I'll double-check that tonight when I have
> access to my books.

We know that a Dragaeran can be accepted into the Dzur by defeating 17 Dzur champions in
single combat. That might also be possible for an Easterner, though we don't know.

And, of course, an Easterner can inherit a citizenship that was originally acquired in
one of the above ways, as Vlad did.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   http://cracksandshards.com
   a Steven Brust Dragaera fan website
   [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]