Dragaera

evolution in languege: OT

Mon May 9 09:57:40 PDT 2005

Howard Brazee wrote:

> Mark A. Mandel wrote:
>
>> --- Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I've read that the closest we will find to how Robin Hood spoke is
>>> in the
>>> back woods of Appalachia.
>>

>> A canard. (Quack, quack!) You can read all sorts of things, many of
>> which will raise your
>> hackles.
>>
> What candidates do you have that you think is closer and why?

The first question would be, which Robin Hood do you mean?  There must
have been more than a dozen, from 1066 to 1300 or so--but none of them
would have been speaking anything but a dialect of Middle English or Old
English, and not necessarily a dialect that survived into Elizabethan or
Jacobean times.  The next observation would be that much of Appalachia
was settled after Culloden, ie, after 1745, when a lot of Scots took off
for the New World.  Not much of Robin Hood there, I'm afraid, and little
more of Elizabeth.

But there is a group of speakers who settled in the early 17th century &
remained pretty isolated ever after:  Chesapeake Bay islanders.  Their
accents are pretty distinct from the surrounding mainland & the
stereotypical southern drawl.  From what I read and hear, what you hear
today on Smith or Tangiers Island is probably fairly close to what you
might have heard in England around 1600-ish or so.  How close, I don't
know.  But no matter how you slice it, it aint Robin Hood.

Snarkhunter