Dragaera

Today’s cooking recipe for an article on Dragaeran life, culture, and art.

FRIEDA2133@aol.com FRIEDA2133
Thu Aug 18 21:11:49 PDT 2005

Today's cooking extract is from "a small posting house less half
a league east of Hartre" called Peffa's:

 "Illista bowed her head and said, 'On the first day, I dined on a
goose prepared with plums and oranges, which I found entirely
satisfactory.  On the next day, I sampled the stew that you keep
cooking over the fire, and it was even better than the goose.  The
next day, it was a suckling pig being roasted over a spit--'
   'Oh, yes, with the fat dripping into the stew.  The stew is
even better today.'
   'No doubt.  What I wish to say, my dear hostess, is that I
have been entirely satisfied with what you have served me, and
yet--'
   'Yes, my lady? And yet?'
   'I cannot help but wonder if there is not something you would
especially recommend.'
   'Oh, Your Ladyship inquires as to our specialty?'
   'Yes, that is it exactly.'
   'Well, my lady, but that is the simplest thing.  It is our fish'
   'Your fish?'
   'Yes.  We are, after all, on the coast, and the fish are brought
to us within minutes of being caught.'
   'But, what sort of fish?'
   'Oh, can Your Ladyship ask?  Here is the only place to find the
true cryingfish, which is, as my lady must know, famed throughout the
land.'
   'What sort of fish is it?  For, upon my honor, I do not believe I
have every heard of it before.'
   'Well, my lady, that shows you how poor is our world without an
Empire, for in the old days--but that is neither one place nor
another.  The cryingfish is rather like the saltwater pinkfish,
but not so strongly flavored, and, when prepared with a few leaves
of basil and a smattering of blackberries, has an almost nutty
savor, for which it is renowned.  Indeed, no other fish--'
   'Very well, I shall have some, along with whatever wine you
recommend.'"

The Lord of Castle Black, paperback, Chapter the Sixty-Second, pages
317-318.