Dragaera

Sethra Lavode: vampire, shape-shifter

FRIEDA2133@aol.com FRIEDA2133
Sun Aug 28 02:22:01 PDT 2005

Hi,

Shape-shifter:

Kragar says to Vlad:

   "'She's a vampire, a shape-shifter, holds a Great Weapon, is
probably the most dangerous wizard living, and has the habit
of killing people who get near her, unless she decides to
turn them into norska or jhereg instead.'
   'There are worse fates than being a jhereg boss.'
   'Shut up, Loiosh.'
   I said, 'How much of this is fact and how much is just rumor?'
   'What's the difference if everyone believes the rumors? I know
I won't go near the place.'"

The Book of Taltos, Taltos, Chapter 1, page 6.

Does Kragar know she is a shape-shifter? Or has he just heard a rumor?
How does a rumor about being a shape-shifter get started?  Has Sethra
been caught shape-shifting before?

If being a shape-shifter is something vampires are known to be, why
repeat it?  Unless Kragar does not think Vlad would know that vampires
are shape-shifters.

Could the word shape-shifter refer to the ability other than shifting
your own shape?  For example, a person is such a great wizard that she
can shift apples to oranges.

Vampire:

I wonder if Sethra is a Fenarian gulyas---nosferati.

  "When I first met Paarfi of Roundwood, he was at work on a retelling
of the Eastern legend of the Fenarian gulyas--nosferati, whose
immunity to the hostile effects of garlic lends them a distinctly
tragic grandeur.  This work would have occupied several volumes of
text and at least two more detailing the recipes sampled by the
characters during their long quest."

Sethra Lavode, paperback, Afterword (written by Ivan Sekely,
Witch-Antiquary of the North, copyright John M. Ford), page 369.

If Vlad was ever to become a vampire, he would certainly want to become
one that was able to eat garlic.  Vlad would rather die and have his
soul destroyed then not be able to eat garlic.

   "I suggested to Vlad that if the Jhereg really wanted to find him,
all they had to do was keep track of garlic consumption throughout
the Empire.  He suggested that I not spread the idea around, because
he'd as soon let them find him as quit eating garlic."

The Book of Athyra, Orca, Chapter 8, page 317.
Orca, Chapter 8, page 134.

Bye.

Linda G.