Dragaera

Vlad and Kiera *Spoilers for _Orca_*

Mark A. Mandel thnidu
Thu Sep 8 17:15:04 PDT 2005

(catching up......)

--- Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Joy Jennifer Nicholson wrote:
>
> > If the Cycle is stronger than the gods, then WHAT is the Cycle?  Did
> > it exist before the creation of the empire, but in another form?  Is
> > it like a law of physic?  Is it sentient?
>
> I see it as an embodied symbol of the will of the Uebergod of the
> Dragaeran universe, Whom we refer to as Tetragrammaton or SKZB.
> The will presumably predates the universe, the embodiment perhaps not.
>
> I don't think "sentient" really applies to Something like that -
> too much knowledge is involved (any philosophers out there interested
> in Alvin Goldman and the Halting Problem?) - so I'd go with law of
> physics.

Remember, the gods of the Vladiverse are not like the Greco-Roman or Hindu
 gods, let alone the all-powerful Creator of the Abrahamic tradition
(Judaism, Christianity, Islam). They originally were, well, mortals, or
anyway biological sentients of various species, and went through assorted
changes -- at least, if we can trust Verra on it. We have no clue AFAIK as
to who or what created the universe (multiverse) that they *inhabit* but
do not *rule*.

m a m