Dragaera

Sports on Dragaera

Mark A. Mandel thnidu
Thu Sep 8 22:06:59 PDT 2005

--- Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:

> _The Phoenix Guard_ has several instances of formal duels. I don't think
> there's ever a point where all of the rules are enumerated laundry-list
> style, but the examples given throughout the book tell the story.
>
> A formal duel consists of a challenge given, a challenge received.
> The appointed time arrives. The circle (which is really a square) is
> drawn,
> using a poniard or some other device that is NOT a sword. (Your sword
> holds
> your honor.) As I recall, the circle is 17 yards per side, but that's
> probably wrong.

> The judge, upon satisfying himself that all is in accordance with the
> regulations, requests once that the parties reconcile themselves. If
> they do
> so, the duel is canceled. Since this is a formality, most duels proceed
> the actual fight. (Aerich caused a bit of a sensation by asking Kathana
> and
> Uttrick twice, the moreso because he was a Lyorn and ought to have been
> stickler for ritual.)
>
> The judge gives the signal and the duelists proceed to inflict harm upon
> each other's persons, according to whatever terminating condition has
> been
> agreed upon. Khaavren and his friends where always in duels to the
> death,
> but it seems safe to assume that one could duel to first blood or such
> if
> agreeable to both parties.

In the first or second chapter of TPG Tazendra issues a challenge, Aerich
is the judge, and Khaavren draws the circle -- that very duel that you
refer to in your first paragraph of description. That duel is to first
blood, as Aerich reminds Tazendra as she is about to strike the
death-blow, and she accedes in disgust.

We also have at least one duel where one party yields, either believing he
is on the point of death or seeing that the other has him at a mortal
disadvantage. One of those is Khaavren's first duel in TPG.

Mark A. Mandel
Cracks and Shards
http://www.cracksandshards.com