Dragaera

Valabar and Sons

FRIEDA2133@aol.com FRIEDA2133
Sun Sep 11 03:33:06 PDT 2005

Hi,

Vlad's favorite restaurant is called Valabar and Sons--not Valabar's?

   "Valabar and Sons has existed for an impossibly long time.  It was
here in Adrilankha before the Interregnum made this city the Imperial
Capital.  That's hundreds of years, run by the same family.  The
same family of humans.  It was according to all reports, the first
actual restaurant within the Empire; the first place that existed
as a business just to serve meals, rather than a tavern that had
food, or a hotel that supplied board for a fee."

The Book of Taltos, Taltos, Chapter 13, page 136.

   Is there a text reference to the Jhereg not "working"
in Valabar's.  Because the following text could be interpreted
to be just leave the restaurant alone--not the patrons inside.  Like
those in power telling Sethra the Younger that when she kills all the
Easterners in South Adrilankha and Adrilankha, leave the staff of
Valabar's alone.

   "There must be some sort of unwritten law about the place that
those in power know, something that says, "Whatever we're going to
do to Easterners, leave Valabar's alone."  It's that good.

Same page.

   I thought Vlad would be allowed to eat his last meal in Dzur and
when be attacked when he gets outside.  Now I wonder if that
thought was based on an "unwritten law" that did not even mean what
I thought it meant.  We will find out for sure in spring 2006.

Bye.

Linda G.