Dragaera

Soul destroying - Issola Spoiler

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 16:30:21 PST 2005

On 11/10/05, J C <greyw01f at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think that, given that Dragaerans get married at roughly 150 years of age,
> they have a relatively short fertility period.  Else, you could have a elder
> brother over 1000 years your senior.

Why would having a sibling being 1000 years older be a problem?

I don't see any reason that Savn and Polyi couldn't have older
siblings.  It's just that when they became old enough, they moved out
and started their own families.

Hmm.  Positing a long fertility period, it would indeed make sense for
Teckla to be highly exogamous; send the kids off far away to found new
families so as to minimize the risk of inbreeding.

> Savn and his sister are very close in age--probably less than a century, I
> think around 2 or 3 score of years apart.  Very close, in other words,
> considering a 2500 year life span.

True - but it still is not inconsistent with a long fertile period,
all the older kids having moved out, and perhaps even far away.  It
would also make sense for Teckla to *plan* for a set of kids to be
born as close together as you note - they can all help out on the farm
together, and this way, they *know* that they are brother and sister
(incest avoidance appears to be based psychologically on siblings
being raised together - and even kicks in when unrelated children are
raised together; see: "Westermark effect")