Dragaera

The Magic Box

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:52:47 PST 2005

On 12/7/05, Bryan Newell <bryann at bryann.net> wrote:
> Possible explanations:
>
> 1. Vlad is a very long-lived Easterner, and is narrating his tales to Brust
> at the same time Paarfi is narrating Viscount to Brust, long after the
> actual events occurred.

Some of the narration in Dragon, IIRC, indicates that he is narrating
the story at roughly the time where it occurs. Somewhere around the
part where he's talking about "someone" messing with his memory, he
says it's funny that he couldn't remember something that had happened
only a few days earlier, and yet now three(?) years later he can still
remember not remembering.

> 3. Vlad's box is a recorder, not a transmitter, and years later, someone
> else (Kiera, Savn, or (doubtful) Paarfi?) transmits his recordings to Brust

I've always thought it was a recorder anyway, just because the
translator would need a recording and not a single transmission
anyway, and it always sounded like a tape recorder. My vote is that
Devera acts as a courier.

Max Wilson

--
Be pretty if you are,