Dragaera

The Magic Box

Tue Jan 3 17:43:36 PST 2006

rone wrote:

>What makes you say this?  There's only proof that Vlad is talking to
>the box.  We also know that Steven Brust is translating Paarfi's books.

Well, there's also the theory that Devera acts as a courier. But if
we're playing along with the idea that Brust is only recording these
stories as related by someone else, then he has to get the stories from
SOMEWHERE.

It's true that the "Silver Box" delivery method is the only means that
has been explicitly noted in the books, it's a reasonably safe
assumption to make that Brust "The Interviewer" might use this method to
gather the Paarfi stories and BP via the same method.

To the left, of course, seeing as how Brust "The Interviewer" must have
traveled to Dragaera on at least on occasion (Vlad claims to have met
the man who gave him the magic box) it's at least possible that Brust
may have simply picked up a copy of Paarfi's works while he was there
and simply translated them. (However, the interview with Paarfi at the
end of FHYA indicates that Paarfi is aware that these books are being
published outside of Dragaera in a different format.)

Goodness knows where Brust "The Translator" got the money to pay Paarfi
for the right to do this... Perhaps it's because he knows better than to
play a seven duece off-suit? ;-)

Majikjon